From Do-Rags to Riches…
How do you go from selling do-rags (a.k.a. durags and doo rags) in high school to launching and managing not one but FOUR successful companies? With dedication, daily habits, and consistent growth mindset, that leap is not as insane as it may sound.
Ross Simmonds shares his inspiring story and advice on how he started his entrepreneurial journey. Ross is a wealth of information, resources, story, and motivation.
Inspiring Quotes from this Episode:
“I truely believe in this idea of experimentation in life and through out everything.”
“I have a four word model that I’ve ingrained in everything I do:
Build. Ship. Learn. Decide.
Ship it out to the world.
Learn how they respond.
Decide if it’s something you are going to continue with.”
“It is in the journey that the way becomes clear.”
“Content can shape culture.” ~Ross Simmonds
“It’s one of the most interesting times to be alive because everyone can be a content creator.” ~Ross Simmonds
“The media’s the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the minds of the masses.” ~Malcolm X
“The community we serve can only be better if we’re willing to serve as well.”
“The internet is my mentor.” ~Ross Simmonds
- Ross’s origin story
- The 4-word formula Ross uses for decisions
- Hustle & Grind startup story
- His partnership that led to coffee selling
- Nuts ‘n’ Bolts on the apparel platforms and selling
- Global shipping costs & procedure
- The currency issues they face in global shipping
- Ross’s role in all four of his companies
- The one thing that gets Ross excited every single day
- How Ross empowers disadvantaged youth and minorities in his community through volunteering his time speaking
- His paid speaking at companies and events for marketing and content creating
- How Ross manages his employees remotely
- How Ross empowers his team through “volunteer” time in their communities
- Navigating the remote work culture for successful businesses
- Ross’s daily creative habits and structure
- The one foundational aspect that ties all Ross’s businesses together
- People that have inspired Ross on his journey
- His current biggest struggle
We learned so many actionable tips and advice from this episode and we hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- Printful.com – what Ross uses for apparel
- Why Should White Guys Have All the Fun?: How Reginald Lewis Created a Billion-Dollar Business Empire Quotes – by Reginald Lewis
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio
- Rework by 37 Signals
- The Innovator’s Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail by Clayton M. Christensen
- The Tanning of America by Steve Stoute and Mim Eichler Rivas
- Remote by 37 Signals
- The One Thing by Gary Keller & Jay Papasan
- Geoff Woods on Narrowing Your Focus
- Jeff Hoffman on Team Management