Today’s guest has written 28 books and sold over 500,000 books in 84 countries and 5 languages. But it didn’t start that way. In 2007, when her first book didn’t sell, she resolved to solve that problem by learning marketing and the book publishing industry.
And that she did, so well in fact that today, Joanna Penn is an Award-nominated, New York Times and USA Today bestselling thriller author, who also writes and publishes non-fiction books and courses for authors.
In 2011, after 3 years of research, study and application, Joanna Penn and her husband downgraded their lifestyle so they could leave their jobs and focus full time on Joanna’s author business.
Today, Joanna—along with her husband and business partner—run their own small press publishing company, Curl Up Press.
In addition to being a prolific fiction and non-fiction author, Joanna teaches authors how to make a living from your books through her courses and books, along with a ton of free information on her fabulous podcast and website… called… what else but, TheCreativePenn.com.
We’re thrilled to welcome none other than the lovely Joanna Penn!
- Joanna’s story and background
- Writing her first book
- Making the leap from job to self-employed
- The craft versus the business
- Downsizing lifestyle in the beginning
- Starting with your end goals as a writer
- Joanna’s creative and business habits
- How Joanna started writing fiction
- Helping her dad publish a book
- Co-writing a book with her mom
- How Joanna plans her year
- Maintaining health as a creator
- Creating habits around your lifestyle
- Travel, research, and goals for books
- Joanna’s new podcast
- Multiple income streams
- Future of voice and voice AI for authors
- Final advice for writers
- Joanna’s future goals and vision
“Figure out who you are, what you want, and your definition of success. Then figure out what you’re willing to do, to get to that.”
~Joanna Penn, author, podcaster, writer